Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Running like a girl

I have a tendency to run like one, but I take pride in that. I certainly wouldn't want to run like a boy. That would require a sex change and, um, that's of no interest to me. Besides, girls look better in running skorts and the t-shirts are cut better. Plus, our running hats come in more colors, like pink!
I'm probably the world's slowest runner (no, seriously!). It sounds weird, I know, but I don't do races to race other people. I generally race against my own goals, like completing the race. A few years ago, I decided to train with Team in Training (to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society). I was able to complete 3 half marathons over a couple years. It was probably one of the most rewarding and empowering experiences I've ever had.
I've done smaller races since then (mostly 5Ks) but as I was building my "40 List" the desire to do another one came over me. Of all the races I've been hearing about that seem feasible and fun-filled is the Disneyworld race. After sharing this idea with KBM and KDF, they both showed interest in doing it with me. The idea of Disney characters cheering me on and having a Donald or Mickey or even a Tiara (Princess Half) medal is very appealing. Anyhow, after some discussion and keeping in consideration that they require a 16 min. mile pace, we are considering on running it in about a year and 3/4 from now. It's awhile, but considering that I am the slowest runner right now, it is needed time.
The challenge now is to find a good training program to follow.

On your marks, get set...

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

So, "40 Things To Do Before I'm 40" List? I think that's a grand idea.

svalkner said...

I love your list! Great ideas! I need to make a list!